Local resident and Colleague from Fenton Children’s Centre approached MCM to support and help to set up a drop in advisory service for the Travelling Community Members due to limited provision of services.
- A venue, room and refreshment facilities provided by stoke on Trent City Council – Fenton Children’s Centre on a 6-week pilot project.
- Partner agencies working together to support Resident led project.
- Initially set up for 6weeks as a pilot scheme.
Outcomes during this short period of time
- Community venue and room secured for 6 weeks
- Resident led drop in
- Partner agencies working together
- 8 Community members have accessed the drop in
- Main issues raised, Homelessness, Housing Benefits and general health concerns
- This service has now been extended for a further 6 weeks due to the need and demand of the drop in sessions.
- Word of mouth used rather then the usual channels of communication and promotion
- Relationships and Trust starting to build with Statutory and Voluntary Sector Organisations
- Signposting to voluntary organisations for help and support with furniture, food donations and general advice to services
- Accommodation secured to enable a family to be reunited
- 1 resident now volunteering in the community as gratitude to all the help and support received.
- Community Connections made for further social activities and engagement
What people said
“I’m so grateful to all the lady’s that help me to get a house for me and my kids as I was homeless and it means the world to me to have some where to call home it’s nice to no there is help for Travellers I cant thanks use enough thanks its a worthy cause that needs to keep going as there is no help no where out there for Travellers.”